Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Word For Today - Daily Office

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? ... For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock... I believe that I shall see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD! (Psalm 27:1, 5, 13-14)

Every morning, we awaken as children in a world gone mad. Bombs exploding in Gaza and Israel, stock markets crashing, houses foreclosing, industries outsourcing, retailers filing bankruptcy, our company downsizing, road rage on our streets, violence in our homes... we turn on the TV to see what is going on in the world - and we are easily overcome with fear. We cry out, like our 18 month old granddaughter, who wakes up in the morning, turns the light on (the switch is right next to her crib), sees no one there, and cries out for a presence... And so do we cry out in the early morning darkness, as the terrors of today break in on us... we also cry out for a Presence.

LORD, you are our light... our shelter... our deliverer! We are not waiting for some "pie in the sky in the sweet by and by" kind of salvation. We believe your goodness will break in on us today - right now - in the land of the living. You will make all wars cease, you will provide for us when we come to the end of our own resources, you will bring an end to the violence that is erupting in our world gone mad. We wait for you. In our waiting, we are made strong in you, we are in-couraged by you, we are trusting in you. Only you. Only you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment